Managing Insider risks in your organisation with Microsoft 365
Security & Compliance teams generally focus on external threat protection whilst largely ignoring, or being unaware of, the risk posed by insiders with legitimate access to business data and applications. Internal risks can be even more difficult to detect, so a modern risk management framework is needed to respond to insider threats.
Some of the challenges facing Compliance Administrators tasked with identifying and managing risks within organisations include:
- Preventing malicious or unwitting insiders from stealing business data
- Ensuring that employees are safe from harassment and other inappropriate behaviour
- Maintaining an effective audit trail of user actions within the organisation
- Ensuring that the company risk posture is in line with internal policies and industry regulations
With Microsoft 365, organisations are empowered to take control of their risk management posture by:
- Setting up Insider Risk Management policies to take control of risk incidents and mitigate appropriately
- Using Communication Compliance features to safeguard employees from threat, harassment, or other inappropriate or abusive behaviour
- Using Search and Electronic Discovery tools to gain visibility of events and actions in the organisation which could be considered a risk
- Ensuring only authorised communication takes place by implementing Information Barriers
In the modern work landscape, it is vitally important to appreciate the risks that organisations face in relation to Insider Risk and Communication Compliance, and to be aware of the available features and toolsets within Microsoft 365 that can identify, analyse and mitigate these risks.
Watch our on-demand webinar on Risk Management to find out the risks your organisation could be susceptible to, or contact us to help you define the Risk Management strategy that is right for your business.
Read about our other areas of expertise in Security, Compliance and Identity:
Peter is an Office Apps and Services MVP with over 25 years’ experience working with Microsoft technologies. He has specialised in the Microsoft 365 platform since 2014, initially focusing on Exchange migrations but in recent years has shifted his area of focus to SharePoint, Teams, and in particular, Security & Compliance.
Peter has worked in both internal IT Management roles and as a consultant or Architect and has delivered Microsoft cloud solutions across the UK and beyond to organisations looking for guidance with their digital transformation journey.